Monday, July 7, 2008

Day 29 - another Monday

It was hot again today, so I sat out in the sunshine and worked on my tan. I figured I should send out my postcards I had sitting on my desk for a month so that they would make it home before me. Simon came with. The walk with company was nice. I also booked my train ticket to Paris for July 14th where I will meet up with a girl I worked with from back home. That was fairly exciting, since I figured it out in French and didn't end up booking a trip to God knows where. I did ask Simon for help towards the end, just in case. Other than that, I didn't do much. Stayed pretty lazy. I'm basically on my own during the day since everybody is at work, and well, this isn't that big of a town.

We watched some TV later that night and a popular show called intervilles was on. I didn't know what to think. I did a little research. This show was created in the 60's and," was devised as a friendly competition which would pitch French towns against each other in a series of challenging, often bizarre physical games on the ground, in the water and in the air which would decide the French ‘top town’. In an era when complicated outside broadcasts were only just becoming manageable from a technical standpoint, Intervilles represented something fresh and original."
Well, this show is definitely original, although I have seen something like it back home on the Spike network where the Japanese play a bunch of ridiculous games in ridiculous costumes and some dudes dub over it in English and say stupid things, usually sexual. This is totally the French version, although I don't think the hosts say anything dirty (although they could and I wouldn't know it). Besides the town residents competing in stupid costumes, there are a lot of cows, rather bulls, also chasing them around and basically just knocking them around. Contestants also have to play games where they must answer questions while doing something ridiculous. At the end, the team with the most points gets to be stationed higher up than their opponent on this astro-craig-like mountain where the two strongest of teammates worm their way up with a pole. In the episode we watched ( I forget the towns competing) it didn't matter that the leading team was higher up because the other team had a stronger player and he won the competition regardless of starting further behind. The big news with this game is that the next town over, Vannes, is going to be in Interville this summer sometime. Hopefully we will get to go watch. This definitely rivals the olympics.
See for yourself:


or:





This is like the coolest thing ever. I mean, crazy games, cheerleaders, wacky costumes, a hip dj, zany hosts, oh and cows. What's not to love?

No comments:

Post a Comment